Monday, March 3, 2014

Thinking Outside the Traditional St. Patrick's Day Decorating Box


Though I’m not of Irish decent, I LOVE St. Patrick’s Day! I love that it is a holiday everyone seems to enjoy being a part of, I love that it means spring is on its way, and I love the bursts of bright green color everywhere!

What I do struggle with each year is how to decorate my home in a fun and festive way BUT also in a stylish way. It’s very hit or miss at the local craft stores/grocery stores and it seems all I see are green-tinseled shamrocks and oddly creepy leprechauns.

This year I decided to scour the Internet and see what great and fresh St. Patrick’s Day decorations I could use as inspiration for my own home. My goal is to infuse stylish shades of green color to create a fresh, relaxing and festive look as well as think outside the “standard” St. Patrick’s Day decorating box.

Front door wreaths are big for me – they are the opening and welcome point for your home. Right now my poor front door looks dull and boring after Christmas and stays dull-looking usually until spring. I am thrilled to see some great options to help fill the gap! Though some examples are homemade (not everyone has the crafty gene), they are stylish and can easily be re-created and used year after year.

Another important showpiece for my home is the mantel and the kitchen table.  We spend a lot of time in our family room and kitchen I really love to showcase each holiday with a themed décor.  What I love about these three examples is that they look like ideas that my 9-year old son can help me create.  What kid doesn’t love a staple gun, paint and glue?


And it’s always big for me to have one classic piece - you can never go wrong with a good table-runner. You can use a good table-runner as the underlay for any festive home décor.

I’m anxious to see how my newly crafted plan for St. Patrick’s Day decorating turns out. I would love to see any great ideas you have for St. Patrick’s Day decorating! You can post to our Facebook page and hopefully help inspire me and others!

Contributed by: Heather Hadfield (Dietrich), Sterling Pear

No comments:

Post a Comment